Sunday, September 14, 2014

Roseholme Mushroom Soup

     Sunday night: mushroom soup!
     Now, Mr. Campbell turns out a nice version but as any practical cook will tell you, it's more of a starter kit, and gets used in jillion different recipes.  It occurred to me one day that it would make a great starter for...itself!

     I just fried one (1) strip of bacon (peppered -- YMMV), then diced a potato and cooked it in the bacon fat until it was starting to brown a little, added a whole package of fresh mushrooms (washed and diced) and once they darkened up and start to smell really good, I added half a small red onion -- also diced.  And a tiny bit of celery seed.

     Once the onion's getting translucent -- you can go farther if you like, but keep an eye on it -- turn the fire down a little, pop open a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and pour it over, following with a soup-can of milk.  From then on, it's pretty much follow label directions: heat slowly until hot, stirring often, do not boil.  I have a big pan with a clear glass lid, so I cover it between stirs and still keep watch -- you can do this but you'll be happier if you don't boil the milk, so be mindful.

     I sliced a couple of green onions for garnish, gave it a touch of paprika when serving and broke the bacon on top of the soup.  The flavors work together wonderfully!  This should serve at least four -- more if you hand out sandwiches and sides, too.  At  Roseholme Cottage, it's dinner for two tonight and my lunch tomorrow, with plenty left over.

7 comments:

aczarnowski said...

That's genius. CoM Soup is going on the grocery list.

BGMiller said...

Mmmmmmmmm

And I'm already sitting here being hungry.....


BGM

Michael said...

Thank God that there are still people who understand that "Bacon" is a staple.

Dave in Indiana said...

Due to dietary restrictions, I am only able to eat Yatzhee dice. I made the necessary substitutions, and it turned out great.

Ken said...

Oh, I am so stealing this one. Many thanks.

DJ9 said...

What happens if you boil the milk?

Is that like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters?

Roberta X said...

It tastes funny -- tends to curdle a bit.