Saturday, July 31, 2010

Just Like Elvis

What is it about dead, famous Southern-born folk? Why won't they stay dead, or at least have the consideration to show up as shambling, decomposing zombies?

Truman Capote (September 30, 1924 – August 25, 1984) is alive, well, and gives every sign of having a wonderful time on his sojourn in this dreary, Midwestern hell:Here he is at the intersection of College and 54th, enjoying our quaint local miltaria shop. I was on my way to the Fresh Market; looks like his native guide is taking him over to Butler student/yupster hangout Moe & Johnny's, diagonally across the intersection.

(Looking up Mr. Capote's biography, I was reminded why even though I loathe most of his political and personal views, I enjoy hearing Gore Vidal speak every bit as much as I liked listening to William F. Buckley. Sayeth Mr. Vidal: "Truman Capote has tried, with some success, to get into a world that I have tried, with some success, to get out of." Woosh! Is there anyone else left who can fight in the same weight class?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truman Capote?

Hmmm, well, he is behind the other guy.

Shootin' Buddy

Roberta X said...

I'm tellin' ya,it was him. I wasn't close enough to hear the plaintive, Droopy Dog voice (srsly: separated at birth) but there's no one else it could've been.

Justthisguy said...

My favorite Vidal quote: (prolly not exact) "Did I know Jack Kerouac? Hell, I &*%^ed him!" Mr. Vidal always claimed that he was not homosexual, but homo-erotic. The distinction is lost on me. M'self, I think polymorphous pervert is the only way to go, tempered by good manners, principles of hygeine, and religion.