Saturday, July 24, 2010

What Izzit?

There's this stencil:Somehow connected with this loooooong-term project:If I ever get it done and if the stenciling and finishing goes as planned, it might not be too bad. I picked out fabric for the cushions the other day...but that gives too much away: yes, it's the long-planned window seat for the Dining/Library here at Roseholme Cottage. Given that Tam's cat will probably stake out a semi-permanent spot on it, I need to come up with several different covers for the cushions, just as we do now with the futon.

It'll be marked as if were once a crate containing airship parts, sent to The Roseholme Works sometime around 1899; and for all you know, it was.

That's genuine excelsior on the floor, by the way -- I'd been planing the oak corner trim. Why sand when you get a glass-smooth surface with a bladed implement?

7 comments:

Stranger said...

If you really want to be original, circa 1899, all you need is a piece of broken glass. The razor sharp edges that make broken glass so dangerous are almost ideal for smoothing wood.

2,000 years ago, wood butchers treasured obsidian for that job - but glass is whole a lot cheaper now.

I suggest a GOOD pair of gloves to start, though. When I was courting, my wife asked me why I had so many scars. From fitting hammer handles to heads.

Stranger

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

why indeed. where's the pic of the plane? knowing you it is a Stanley Bedrock #603...

Roberta X said...

It's a pretty generic Stanley made-in-England "contractor's plane," 612-004. I've got another the same size with nice rosewood handles and a better blade, a "Victor," another Bailey plane from one of his many splits with Stanley Co., but as this is still pretty rough work and I wasn't sure how well I had the nails set, I used the other plane.

My handplane collection isn't much -- a Stanley block plane, the two small more-or-less jack planes, and a really nice wooden one, plus a sort of a filister plane by Anant, one of the under-rated Indian toolmakers. (Lousy paint, good tool; pretty typical). Oh, and a looong smoothing plane that nees a new blade and maybe a cap iron, a project saved for later. :)

Did I ever mention I picked up both a 6" and a 12" brace? Nice Miller's Falls, both of them, hardwood handles, etc.

Roberta X said...

Broken glass I might use -- I have a fine scaper, the simple-(ha!)-sheet-of-steel kind.

Some sanding for aging, once I get it stencilled. --You'd think I'd go for "simple," just once.

Drang said...

Either this is great therapy, or your headache has gone away.

Either way, 1) congrats, and 2) once again I find your skills daunting.

Roberta X said...

And the plane is in the picture -- look up from the vertical trim in the center of the front of the bench, and it's on the seat, on it's side, facing away. The back of the blade is visible, as is the tote. Mild reflection on the wood, too, which I find gratifying.

Skills? Cutting stencils, planing, it's all Fun With Sharp Things. ;)

Joseph said...

Looks cool, Roberta....don't forget to post pics (and instructions) when you finish is...maybe make it a project on your retro tech page?