Monday, September 20, 2010

Cat Worries

My old Tommy Cat is not doing so well. Hasn't since last night, when he'd peed his bed and fallen asleep in the mess. I found him at midnight, after I'd returned from work. I cleaned him up, as best as I could clean up a cat who is essentially a centenarian, but he's been very quiet ever since.

I'll be taking him to the cat-doctor this morning.

Poor old guy. Since last Saturday, his time on the floor not taken up by eating, drinking or the litter box is spent sitting wistfully at the hallway door. I think at some point yesterday it dawned on him she's not coming back. --Anthropomorphizing? Sure. But he's sitting there right now.

Update: Took him to my long-time vet, who put him on IV fluids pretty much immediately. White blood cell count is up a bit, which suggests infection. He did drink and even ate a little. Vet suggested moving him to the 24-hour pet hospital, which I did around 6:oo p.m.

He was pretty sleepy when they brought him out. He perked up some in the car and at the pet hospital, where we had a long-ish wait. He was even smoothing on my hand. Didn't see the on-call doc, as he was busy.

The vet from the new place called me about an hour later; there's evidence of kidney disease, which could have been masked by thyroid issues. So he's off his thyroid meds for awhile, IV fluids continue and -- we'll see. The vets have all been pretty guarded; Tommy way off the charts for geriatric cats. But my vet said his condition looked better than she had at first feared, and the new guy thinks Tommy's got a fighting chance. He says 24 to 48 hours in the hospital.

Poor old cat. I sure hope he starts feeling better. And good thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I haven't slept without one or the other of my cats nearby in years -- I spent one night without them when I helped Tam move and Tommy and Slinky were being boarded at the 24-hour hospital.

23 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Sigh.

I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

probably broke his heart. so sad. Had to put down our malinois (cancer) his bunk mate laks her usual enthusiasm since.

Turk Turon said...

Poor old guy. Take good care of him.

Midwest Chick said...

Take care of him and love him while you have him. I think they grieve in their own ways and don't think that you're anthropomorphizing at all. I hope the vet gives him a clean bill of health!

John B said...

Over the past 20 years, I have seen my dogs react to loss, even if it's just the child of a friend not visiting anymore. Anthropomorphizing? Likening their actions to human reactions, I don't think so!

WV: wooker wookie or worker?

Bubblehead Les. said...

He knows. Hope he gets better.

Stretch said...

Cats and dogs tend to be better people than most humans. Give him some tuna for me.

w/v = "sanity" What pets provide.

Jennifer said...

He knows and he misses her. Give him some extra loving. It's good for you too.

Comrade Misfit said...

Cats mourn the loss of their friends. I hope Tommy gets past this.

Anonymous said...

Poor old guy. Extra-good food for him tonight, please.

George said...

It is dis-stressing as all get out, Roberta. Your friends feel your pain for Tommy ... and probably feel some of his for Slinky.

We're here ... all set up to provide what support and comfort we can. Lean on us as needed.

Regards.

Lissa said...

*fingers crossed*

Hope he perks up SOON

Anonymous said...

He's in the cat hospital, receiving IV fluids. He was very dehydrated. The vet wants to get him back to normal before proceeding.

LabRat said...

Cats don't necessarily attach to every housemate they have over the course of their lives, but the ones they do, they grieve for. Older cats especially tend to feel losses because constancy becomes so much more important to them as their senses dull.

Dehydration will really knock a creature down, cat or man. Hopefully he'll brighten up a lot with a bag of fluid in him.

Joanna said...

Anyone who thinks animals don't grieve needs to be locked in a room with a copy of "Where the Red Fern Grows", and not let out until they've learned their lesson. I hope the little guy pulls through.

breda said...

When we lost our first cat to FIP, our Eloise stood in the hallway that first night and howled. It was the most heart wrenching sound and I can only imagine she was mourning her big "sister."

She's never done it since.

rickn8or said...

Sending good thoughts your way.

And yes, pets do grieve; I've got a picture of GF's Mom's Boston terrier and calico looking out the door, still waiting for Miss Jean to come back.

Hat Trick said...

Well wishes to Tommy Cat and to you and Tam.

NotClauswitz said...

They know, and they know that you care too.

Joseph said...

My thoughts are with you, Tam and the cats. Hope the prognosis comes back excellent.

Jeffro said...

Oh, damn, Roberta...

Here's hoping it all turns out well.

Anonymous said...

I will echo all of the empathy and good wishes above, and add this:

If it's time, let him go.

A wise man that I loved so much told me that about my old dog when I was a boy, and I thought it was about the meanest thing he could say. Years later, he said the same thing about himself. It's time, I love you, let me go.

He was right both times. Blackjack was freed from his pain to run and chase rabbits forever through beautiful fields...and Dad went Home to be with his cherished Mother. The pain for those of us left behind was almost unbearable...almost. But there is no doubt it was the right thing to do for them.

I hope, for his sake and even more so for yours, that old Tom is back to his crotchety, demanding, loving cat self soon. But if it's time, let him go.

AT

Crucis said...

We had a brother/sister pair. He was gray, she was black & white. Both had kidney problems. Chicory, the old man, finally lost all kidney function and we had to take him to that final visit to the vet. Willow, his sister, hardly moved from the door to the garage for nearly three weeks waiting for him to return. Those three weeks were as hard as the previous three.