Sunday, December 11, 2011

Howya Doin'?

We all ask it and often as not respond with the same question, the standard, "fine," being taken for granted.

Not everyone takes the easy way out; I stopped by a Marsh supermarket for some hearty stew supplies and the checker was a man in late middle age who appeared to have been hit by a stroke or, more likely, one of the similar ills to which the flesh is heir. He'd mastered it, though, and while his mobility was limited and his speech a little slurred, he had a cheerful twinkle in his eyes and was moving groceries along quite briskly.

When my selections and I moved up opposite him, he smiled and asked, "How are you this evening?"

I'm conventional: "Very well. And how are you?"

His smile grew broad as he replied, "Unstoppable!"

I'd allow as how he was just that, too.

On reflection, it'd be a darned fine goal for the rest of us.

8 comments:

Michael said...

Just the story for a Sunday night. Gives me a much better perspective on whatever happens next week.

Tango Juliet said...

Beautiful!

The Jack said...

Aye. That's a good story.

And yeah, dedication's a wonderful thing.

Unstoppable indeed.

Sport Pilot said...

Thank you Bobbie, you made my night with this post.

BobG said...

I have a simple philosophy: Any day you can get out of bed without help is a good one.

RHT447 said...

Unstoppable indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ0OZ2JyZDY

About 15 minutes long. Watch it anyway.

Oakenheart said...

I was better, but I got over it ;)

Rabbit said...

I draw the line at "Omniscient", myself.