Monday, November 05, 2012

Vote, Lemmings, Vote!

You might as well vote -- most of your neighbors and co-workers are liable to be voting, and you don't want them to have the last word, do you?

     Locally, we have a chance to send freedom-fearing State Supreme Court Justice Steven H. David packing -- and give dissenting Justice Robert D. Rucker the nod to carry on.  Vote NO --oh, hell no -- when they ask, on the back of the ballot with all the fine print, "Should Justice Steven H. David be retained?"  Nope.  He should be retrained; maybe if they run him through law school again, he'll pick up a few hints.

     We also have the Mourdock -- Donnelly U. S. Senatorial contest; the first is a painfully sincere fiscal conservative/social conservative with a bad case of foot-in-mouth, while the second is a slick-talking "blue dog," who likes unions, "Obamacare," wants to soak "the rich" and big business with higher taxes and shares Mr. Mourdock's views on Teh Gays and abortion: so from a Getting My Voice Heard In Washington City standpoint, Donnelly is near-total loss (NRA says he's foursquare on gun rights) and his opponent is a partial loss.  Libertarian Andrew Horning is in the race, too, so I can sink with colors flying and I just might.

     Mourdock's gaffe -- I'm not going to rehash it, the Dems are doing that over and over and over -- didn't help the front-runner in the Governor's race, either: Mike Pence, a faith-on-his-sleeve all-'round conservative had a comfortable lead over good ol' boy/college president/attorney John Gregg; now, not so much.  Mr. Pence's best features are that he's reasonably well spoken -- the taste of foot, he does not know -- and his positions are as consistent and dependable as a courthouse clock.  Mr. Gregg, he is not such a bad fellow, moderate on many issues, but his running mate is a member of the Junior Nancy Pelosi League, or would be if there was one, hard Left on just about everything: no thanks, ma'am.  And in last place, well-liked Rupert Boneham, who ought at the very least to win Mr. Sincerity.  I'd love to see him win the whole beauty contest -- he's likely to do very well -- but I'm not holding my breath.

     There are a bunch of smaller races that would only annoy me and confuse you to mention (or is it the other way around?), including the run for Leader Of The Free World.  "None Of The Above," still not an option.

     Anyway, tonight I'll print out my final set of crib notes, mark it up and make ready to go do the thing we do, serene in the knowledge that no matter what, they'll stop smearing one another all over the inside of my TV screen, at least for a couple of years.

6 comments:

Robert Fowler said...

A great man (my Father) once told me about voting, "don't vote, don't bitch". Words I have followed since the late 70's.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Unfortunately, I think we might be having a few more weeks of Screen Smearing, at least regarding the Free World Leadership. Something tells me that they'll be so much Shenanigans at the Ballot Box, that we'll be thinking the 2000 Recount was the "Good Old Days."

Jess said...

I wonder what would happen if 75% of the U.S. refused to watch television for a week after Wednesday?

og said...

I'm looking forward to casting my first "Retain" vote for Rucker.

rickn8or said...

Getting tired of seeing ads that cater to those people that slept through Civics class...

Tam said...

Og,

"I'm looking forward to casting my first "Retain" vote for Rucker."

Word.