Friday, January 25, 2013

My Senator Wrote Back

     One of them bothered to, at least.  Dan Coats mailed me a remarkably bland third of a page that, as Tam commented, "Could have been worse."  He expresses the conventional politician's sorrow about the Newtown victims -- which my letter did not mention -- before asserting that he "...support[s] Second Amendment rights for law-abiding citizens," which would represent an improvement on his past history.   His most recent public statement on the subject is more encouraging but I think he still bears watching; this is a man with a history of "moderation in the defense of liberty."

     "Could have been worse."  That's a darned poor epitaph for a political career, yet it's the best most politicians manage.  This should tell us something about the choices we're offered.

     Meanwhile (and despite encouraging past history), Indiana's Senator Joe Donnelly says...?  Joe?  ...crickets.... 

8 comments:

Jess said...

Ron Paul used to be my Congressman. I had few reasons to write, but when I did, the response wasn't full of platitudes and empty rhetoric.

BGMiller said...

If the choices presented are unappealing have you considered becoming a choice?

If you can't find someone to do the job right then might as well take a swing at it yourself.

(And yes I realize the obstacles. But what's the worst that happens?)

BGM

LCB said...

I did the Ruger email thingy...

Gov. Kasich of Ohio answered back that he believed current laws were enough...no further laws needed.

John "I never met a Dem bill I didn't like" Boehner..."let's see what Biden's commision comes up with and then we'll know what to do." Not an exact quote there...but it means he's willing to sell us out. I hate, hate, hate voting for Dems...but I voted against Boehner last year, just out of principle. He's the classic def of a RINO.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Here's the thing. Let's get a Senate Roll Call Floor Vote on all the Gun Control Legislation ASAP. Those who Vote FOR Freedom get Support for the next Election Cycle, those who Vote AGAINST Freedom OR Vote "Present" OR don't show up to Vote ALL get Targeted for Removal. Granted, it won't work in places like New York, Kalifornia, etc., but in the Free States, this will separate the "Wheat from the Chaff," and we KNOW who's a Sheep in Wolf's Clothing.

Right now, all the Talking Head Crap and Hemmin' and Hawin' on the Sunday Shows is Meaningless.

Old NFO said...

Are you really surprised???

Roberta X said...

BG Miller: No. N-O. I work for a living.

Anonymous said...

check out rugers" gunowners call to action" sender... been a Fan of your Blog for a couple of years... Love your stuff!

Cormac said...

Politicians from my state (Texas!) are openly mocking the clowns from NY and Chicago...