Wednesday, September 17, 2008

On Being Difficult

I am a difficult person. I hear "orange," first thought goes through my head is "blue." Say "day" and I respond "night."

This is not what one might call a desirable trait and when one adds to it opinions that are naturally contrary.... There are times when better I should maybe bite my tongue.

Happened today, found myself on the edge of a conversation about bicycle commuting and one of the Leftier types allowed as how on his way in he'd seen "a group of those black kids, looked like they had somebody stopped and I just changed direction and went around 'em."

I had so many reactions I was dumbstruck.
- Good move; if something looks hinky and you can avoid it, you win!
- Um, d00d? Y'mean you'd'a given 'em an all-clear if they was paler? In a rough part of town, young males with worrisome body language get an "avoid" from far enough away that I couldn't tell ya if they were Martians.
- So, um, Mr. "We're-all-siblings-under-the-skin," did you hear what you just said?
- Ever consider they might be playing the game one move deeper than you? Been known to happen.
- Why'n't you armed?

Smiled, said nothing. I'm paid to have arguments? Not!

I should do that more often.

3 comments:

breda said...

"Orange" and "blue" - this made me like you even more, a thing I didn't think possible.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Geez, I am easily sidetracked. I've got things I am supposed to be doing, not sitting here commenting on your post, but I'm doing it anyway.

How old were the "kids"? They had somebody stopped. Just what does that mean? Are things that bad that you (or anyone else) does not dare inquire if there is a problem?

In similar circumstances I probably would have done the same thing: just changed direction and gone around them. I got places to go, I don't have time for this kind of foolishness.

Roberta X said...

It wasn't me saw them, Charles, but a person I overheard. So I don't have any of the details. It happened on a part of the Monon Trail that is a known danger area.

Breda: certainly not more than I like you!