Sunday, August 09, 2009

August BlogMeet A Smashing Success!

Free Sweet Corn Draws Near-Record Crowd!C'mon, free corn, Tam, Caleb, me and Frank W. James -- what more could you want? Details will follow ...Plus over a dozen other wondrous bloggers and readers, namely and to wit: Old Grouch, Shermlock Shomes and spouse, Nathan, Brigid, Wayne, Joanna and her sister, MTS1 (winner of a deferred Cup Of Turonistan, as I was out of Fabulous Prizes. Getcha one next time for sure!), Robert, Shootin' Buddy, Robb D. , "Sparky" (Caleb's imaginary friend), Arch and spouse Linda and I am pretty sure I have left someone out... Here's the reverse angle. How clever of me to be all bent over as the picture is snapped, looking over my glasses as I take notes. Looks like I fainted.

Free sweet corn proved very popular! This shot is before the feeding frenzy really got started, or, as Framer Frank puts it, "One of the real rewards in life is to be the position of being able to give food away to your friends."



Right now a few of the locals are sittin' on the front porch at Roseholme with big glasses of ice water. I am hankerin' to join 'em, having bicycled to and from, as did Tam and SB. Guess which machine is mine?

Hadda good BlogShoot first, too. My Sistema Colt 1911A1? It's allll happy now! Frank W. James, Tam, Shootin' Buddy, Nathan and I were all at Eagle Creek Park Pistol Range. Alas, no pix from there. I got to shoot Frank's Ruger LCR and wasn't totally awful (for me with a revolver) once he'd briefed me on the two-stage DAO trigger. I could stand to have a slighly longer grip but in terms of lightweight-go-shooty, it's very nice. Pockatable? So far, everyone is looking askance at the grippy Hogue grips. Very nice grips, mind you, but they tend to grab fabric, non-ideal for the application. --As Tam has observed (she's far from the only one), shooting a DAO revolver does wonders for one's control with a semi-auto and when I returned to the 1911, I found my groups had tightened up. Nothing world-beating but improvement nevertheless.

So, next Indy BlogShoot/BlogMeet, will you be there?

20 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Your Sistema Colt is teh awesome. I'm glad I made the shoot just to gaze upon it and even handle it a little.

And thanks for helping me reduce that misfed .45 cartridge. Never had one do that before...

The blogmeet was great, too...nice to see everyone again.

Tango Juliet said...

Nuthin' like sweet corn to get a crowd together.

Tango Juliet said...

Oh yeah, good on the Sistema.

phssthpok said...

(grumble...grumble...)

Just one day sooner, and my Kimber and I could have joined you fine folks.....

(sigh)

Perchance might you be amenable to scheduling next month's meet more toward the middle of the month (12th or 13th?)so's I might possibly manage to drop in on my way back from moving my Mother down to Florida?

Purdy please?

Roberta X said...

We'll see what we can do!

Phssthpok said...

>Giddy<

:)

Tam said...

Bobbi and Joanna were having an analog IRC chatroom conversation with the typewriters. It was positively surreal.

phssthpok said...

Is it weird that I instantly thought of RX this past week when I ran across a nifty portable typewriter while antiquing in Ohio?

Though about contacting you (RX) about it, but decided it would be a bit 'creepy stalker-ish'.

mts1 said...

I peeled the corn, and it made the kitchen smell great (90F/90%H days make this 1896 box smell badly enough to make a billy-goat puke even with the windows open, so having the sweet corn to shuck was better than burning yet another incense cone), plus the corn looks delicious. I'll boil it up tomorrow.

It warms my heart to see that there is truly a porch from which Tam gets a view. In a world with fake characters like Betty Crocker, Aunt Jemima, and Mrs. Butterworth's, that the blog owner truly has a View from the Porch!

The typewriter photo answers the final question that I didn't get a chance to ask - does the mini take standard U.S. paper?

wv: erive - since I done took off right after church, I erive in Indy way early, so I done went to Monon Coffee to sit a spell and read my archaeology update on the wi-fi 'fore I went to the pub.

Home on the Range said...

It was great fun! Arch's wife was Linda and she was just the nicest lady (even shared her dessert down at our end of the table. . )

Unloading the corn was a blast, I brought two bags home for just me, and I know others got plenty. Frank's the best.

Dueling typewriters. hee hee.

Drang said...

mmmm, Ruger LCR...

People look at me funny whenever I say it seems like a piece I'd like to have, but it's so small and light, it would make a good pocket/backup. I know the Hogue grips may be overly grippy, but I suspect one could do something with electrical tape. (Which makes me remember that, before Barami Hip Grips became available, my father was one of those detectives who would wrap a few rubber bands around the grip of his J-Frame and shove it in his waistband, rather than bother with what was available for holsters beck then...)

the pawnbroker said...

great report, bx...i'm glad at least one of the residents at r.c. gives a rat's patootie about the remote majority.

wv: raver...yep, you get a ravereview.

jtc

the pawnbroker said...

here's the smiley that shoulda been at the end of that blurb...:o)

Turk Turon said...

Sorry I missed it!

Thanks for the excellent reportage.

Joanna said...

Typewriter squee! It was the geekiest darn thing I did all week, and that's sayin' something.

FWIW, I will be out of town (waaaaaaay out of town) the weekend of the 12th, although my flight is scheduled to get back at about 1:30p, barring delays. I'd probably be up for it.

Tam said...

"Typewriter squee! It was the geekiest darn thing I did all week, and that's sayin' something."

The way you were banging away on the keyboard with your index fingers only, you needed a candy cigarette and a fedora with a "PRESS" card stuck in the hat band. I was afraid that whatever you were writing was going to come spinning out of the typewriter to fill the screen like some rerun of a '50s Superman episode. XD

(WV: "Impermen". The impermen were the bad guys from a failed 1930s Flash Gordon serial, I'm pretty sure...)

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

"...a candy cigarette and a fedora with a 'PRESS' card stuck in the hat band."

I can just see it :)

Now you've done it, Tam. That's exactly how she'll show up to the next 'meet.

Joanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanna said...

Darn skippy.

Incidentally, it was half a page plus of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Heh heh heh heh.

phssthpok said...

Drat...curses..and all that falderall...

Seems the time line for the move has been altered. Sept 12-13 is no longer available to me, so go ahead and plan whatever works best for the locals....

Double sigh and grumble... :(