Saturday, October 16, 2010

Didn't Make It: Teen Jumper

The 16 year old who jumped down three floors at the Danville courthouse, handcuffed, has died. It looks like suicide. And no Darwin award for that, either.

Call me soft-hearted but this appears to have been the last act of a life gone terribly wrong; he was appearing before the court, charged with beating his father; police in Avon said he'd attempted to escape and had spoken of suicide.

I doubt there is any government (or NGO) fix for this kind of thing; dour statistics tell us the troubled, troublesome and trouble-making will always be with us. But perhaps it's possible to push back a little, one on one.

It's worth a try.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if I told you that abolition of parts of the government is the fix.

The Welfare State is nihilistic.

Shootin' Buddy

Roberta X said...

I would not be at all surprised.

Rob K said...

I'm with Shootin' Buddy, except I would change "parts" to "most".

Drang said...

How does committing suicide not garner him a Darwin Award?

And I'm having trouble reading "I would not be at all surprised" to that question, coming from a prominent self-described rational anarchist, as meaning "Absolutely no way we should consider abolishing many (or most) parts of government."

Underground Carpenter said...

Hi Roberta X,

I'd like to one-up Shootin' Buddy and Rob K, and put in for "all".

Dave

Roberta X said...

1. Pretty sure intentional suicides don't count towards a Darwin Award.

2. I would not be at all surprised if Shootin' Buddy were to tell me that abolition of parts of the government was the fix. Which he has and I was not startled by.

Me, I'd as soon abolish all parts of it; but most other folks whine about it and it's just too much like taking a blankie from a very young child; they get all big-eyed and weepy and concerned about boogety-woogety men under the bed or some such childishness....