Friday, October 15, 2010

Morning Report

Tam, in re the CVS drugstore chain being heavily fined for not quite following gummint reporting guidelines when snitching on pseudo-ephedrine purchasers: "They've already made buying cold medicine as annoying as buying a Glock!"

...The difference being, in my mind, that at the pharmacist's you can't buy a 1911 instead. (Relax, Glockfans, Tam didn't mean it like that).

In related news, drugstore prices going up! Gee, wonder why that is?
--
And Indianapolis public schools have sent home an ultimatum -- well, paperwork -- requiring parents prove their kids have had all their shots. Otherwise, if they bite someone, they'll have to be put down! Er, wait, no, it's just they won't be allowed to attend school -- and after five or six days of that "unexcused absence," they'll be suspended. It's a nice out for the kid who wanted to skip school; one does wonder where this leaves families with religious objections to vaccination.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of preventing the schools from being any more of a disease vector than they already are (and what about all those bad memes?), but if they want 'em shot, it might be cheaper and less trouble to just line 'em all up and shoot 'em. Fulla vaccines, I mean. We could pass the hat; even I would toss in a few measly bucks. Er....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that what they used to do?

I have memories of lining up in the school gym and get shots in elementary school and some sort of booster before I could wrestle in 7th or 8th grade. I remember my mother giving me money so I could pay for it and having to sign a release.

Shootin' Buddy

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Ought to put the parents down if the kids don't have their vacs.

I, too, remember the dreaded vaccinations. And the TB tests. Etc.

og said...

I was vaccinated in school.

Of course, when I went, it was against bubonic plague.

Joanna said...

Wait a sec -- isn't lining them up and vaccinating them willy-nilly a violation of civil liberties? I ask in all seriousness because I think there's a hole in your argument.

Rob K said...

If they didn't pack them into those CLOs (Confined Learning Operations) they wouldn't need to be pumped full of vaccines. It's the same reason pigs, chicken, and cattle are pumped full of vaccines and antibiotics in CAFOs. Large populations over-crowded into confined spaces and kept still for hours on end? Not for my kids.

What business has the government educating kids anyhow?

Gewehr98 said...

Is there a vaccination for Tactical Tupperware? Glocks are annoying even after buying them. I sold mine to buy another 1911. Didn't need another 1911, but needed the Glock 17 even less. Somebody else is happy with it now, though.

That's a good angle on the whole civil liberties vaccination thing. Probably a "greater good" argument, one kid w/smallpox could wipe out an entire school district. Then there's the peanut allergies...

WV: Derilia - fancy medical name for Black Polymer Crunchenticker Pistolitis

BobG said...

"The difference being, in my mind, that at the pharmacist's you can't buy a 1911 instead."

Not even with a doctor's prescription?

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Wait a sec -- isn't lining them up and vaccinating them willy-nilly a violation of civil liberties? I ask in all seriousness because I think there's a hole in your argument.

Get back to me on that when we really do have a John Ringo-esque killer flu epidemic on our hands, will you, Joanna?

Because as long as the Chinese continue to live in squalor, it's coming sooner or later. My guess is sooner, but I'm a pessimist.

Roberta X said...

Joanna: not if they can opt out of attending school by skipping the shots; or for any other reason. Keep 'em home and let 'em die of measle-mumps with a side of TB and/or smallpox at 21, it's good for the species!

But if the school system wants them sanitized as prereq for getting that "free education" I'm helping pay for, I don't have a big problem with it.

Sabra said...

The deadline for vaccinations in Texas schools is the first day of school. There are forms (which must be notarized) for those of us who opt out of vaccines for whatever reason; I gather some school systems accept letters from the parents. Either way, you don't have a shot record or an exemption form on hand for the first day of school, you don't get to go to school.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Gee, you mean when I got Vaccinated in School, my Civil Liberties were Violated? I thought I was having a "Your Tax Dollars at Work" moment. Heck, I remember when my neighborhood went to the High School at NIGHT and got Small Pox vaccines so that our working Parents could be rendered Safe from the disease. Of course, this was back when JFK was running things, and the Dems gave you something for your Federal Dollars, not just sound bites telling you how wonderful it is to live under DemiCommie Rule.