Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I Work On A Starship Post

This is out of sequence, just a little glimpse into the not-so-smooth workings of one of the biggest known vessels outracing light for fun and profit:

"Engineering to Jump Control. Engineering to Jump Control."

Lupine had completed the long run-up to a significant percentage of the speed of light and was leaping out of Frothup's star system, at long last; it'd been fun but I wasn't gonna miss the place.

Continued at I Work On A Starship: All Part Of The Service.

4 comments:

Turk Turon said...

I enjoyed your description of the crew. It sounds like the people in the Control Room of my TV show: cliques and cabals, tantrums and hissy fits, louts and loutresses. "Out-of-Control Room" is more like it.

And who says "loutresses" isn't a real word? It should be.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Another two-thumbs-up installment.

Drang said...

*snicker* I didn't know it ran on Windows...

Roberta X said...

Naw, it's worse -- bespoke firmware. That system's a glitchmonster; I had to go back and reset it again after gale's shift was over. Only the main panel took. Crawled under and found one of the RS-232 daisy-chain control cables half unplugged. I dunno, maybe bored little fingers found it? I don't like the hardware -- cat5 from the main box to the stations but expansion is all steam-powered 232 on DE-9s.