Thursday, September 06, 2012

Hey, Why Didn't You Tell Me?

Infamously-fast fast-food chain Rally's (possibly "Checkers" where you live) sells a pretty fair chili dog. Why did I not know this? Yes, I admit it, a few-and-far-between chili dog is one of my guiltiest pleasures.

For that matter, there's a drugstore chain not too far away that sells what appears to be a decent kale salad. ...But give me twelve hours before I rule on that.

(12 hours on: yes. The kale salad is made of win and freshness. What brave new world is this, anyhow?)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't checked the menu recently, but Hardee's used to have a decent chili-dog...and my favorite chili-cheeseburger.

Roberta X said...

Tam mentioned that they did, which I had not expected. I very rarely eat drive-through food, almost never, so I do miss some gems form time to time.

rickn8or said...

Thanks Roberta, I haven't contemplated a chili dog in months.

Two more places for me to scout...

Ken O said...

Kale salad? Please tell me more. I love kale cooked up like turnip greens or collards, but it is oh so hard to find in South Texas. Do you have a kale salad recipe?

Roberta X remotely said...

This was uncooked, a nice green salad with kale, red bell peppers, cabbage and carrots.

--Walgreen's drugstores locally have added a seriously good fresh-food section, possibly in response to criticism over "unhealthy" choices -- but they have had the wit to go for tasty, somewhat off-beat choices (three versions of stuffed mushroom caps, for instance).

I use kale to make colcannon: mashed potatoes with ham and (slightly) steamed kale added in, served with butter (or healthy margerine) and chives. Yum!

Ken O said...

Thank you so much. Now to the local hippie store to see if they have kale.

Overload in Colorado said...

There's a Skyline Chili at
3524 86th Street West, Indianapolis, IN
I stopped in there earlier this year. Got a chili dog, but got not enough chili, not enough dog, and too much cheese. Same with the spaghetti.
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc402/Overload_ed/IMG_20120421_133201.jpg