Sunday, September 16, 2012

What, No Steam Engine?

Our local -- and very kewl -- living history museum, Conner Prairie, focuses on the 19th century; when a news report announced they'd received a grant to fuel (ahem) youngsters interest in Science, Technology, Engineering And Math, I was heartened.

...Then I read it would feature "...wind and water-power...." While windmills and watermills are about a serious an 1800s tech as it gets, it's largely a rule-of-thumb, wooden-gears affair, usually on a scale too big to be safe around kids. "Engineering" rode in the with steam engine -- and stayed.

Thus I was relieved to go to the Conner Prairie website and learn the ending-today S.T.E.A.M. Week includes genuine steam engines -- even if they have decided the "a" stands for "the Arts." Somebody's got to pinstripe those engines!

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I am going to have to get over there. I hope you can make the Tri State steam engine show next year. It's always big fun.

Anonymous said...

I just inherited a #14 Weeden steam engine circa 1925 from my father. It originally belonged to my great grandfather. It is in decent shape except for missing the sight glass. I'll try to remember to bring it in to the next blog meet.

Kerry