Monday, October 06, 2008

Big Plans

I'm on vacation this week, doing things like major house work, running radio antenna lines into the basement (and planning out at least one more antenna), building bookshelves and so on. But sometime this week, I wanna go here: Atterbury Range! I have not been there since the last big revamping. The place looks plush (especially the clubhouse, compared to the decrepit trailer rangemasters previously used; looks like the pistol range is much improved, too) and it's in a pretty portion of the State. Likely to be Shotgun Heaven this time of year.

Amusingly enough, you can see the range as I saw it last, here: beseems that because the place is right by Camp Atterbury (and within the WW II-era boundaries), updates to satellite pix of the area are a bit slow. (I'm having difficulty coming up with numbers but Indiana's Guard and Reserve troops are and have been deployed in a very big way and an awful lot of them pass through Atterbury).

My baby bro the reservist chaplain (no, really) points out that Indiana is bombed regularly by the USAF, mostly flying out of Virginia, hitting the South section of Camp Atterbury. Daggone it, I thought the War Between The States was over already!

5 comments:

Turk Turon said...

Virginia, eh?

Hmmm...

Maybe I can stow away and hit the silk over Broad Ripple. It might work.

Anonymous said...

If Turk's landing at the brewpub, I'll be there!

Turk Turon said...

Absolutely!

I'll be bailin' out over the Brewpub. Please have a Porter waiting. I'm buyin'!

Home on the Range said...

Let me know how you like it, it's the only place even close I think I can play with the Wilson Combat. Sounds like a whole lot more fun than what I'm having. :-)

Roberta X said...

Presently, the road trip to Atterbury is not lookin' real likely, what with the rain and all. I don't like traveling alone. But one never knows.

I'm going to try to sink a ground rod after the rain -- it's a good time for it! I've done it before and driving in an eight-foot copperclad rod is not a fast process.

Before the rain hits, I have another task: cleaning out the gutters. They really need to be replaced with larger, screened ones.