Tuesday, May 22, 2012

3, 2, 1 -- Poise!

So, I've got a nice mug of mint tea in one hand -- made with fresh mint from the Roseholme Herb Garden -- and a bowl of some Hoppin' John-esque stuff in the other, onion and ham, field peas ("with snaps!" Snap) and corn with a bitta broth and garden marjoram, and suddenly (was it the pepper I put on the cherry tomatoes?*) a sneeze comes over me -- Choo! And another chasing it, ah-ah-AH-CHOO!

I don't have a whole lot of what dancers have -- kinesthetic sense, that feel for where one's limbs are and which way is up -- but I don't think I have ever been more aware of what my hands and arms were doing or maintained such total control while the rest of me was busy with that sneeze. Holy cow.

Didn't spill a drop. (Nor sneeze one out, either. Ew.)
________________________________
* Most of the finger-food raw veggies I like just the way they are; but I grew up cutting cherry tomatoes almost in half and applying salt and pepper. They still taste best to me just that way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of kinesthetic sense, a number of years ago I noticed one of our miniature lions crossing the mantle, amidst a dizzying array of tightly clustered, and very breakable, nicknacks. Awaiting the inevitable calamity, I elected to watch from a distance rather than attempt to intervene, fearing that said intervention would result in a mad scurrying with the predictable result of greater calamity (she knew she was not allowed up there).

Much to my amazement, the mantle was successfully navigated with nary a figurine being brushed, much less displaced, including not touching those well behind the ocular-equipped end. That was also the first time I had noticed cats perform spatially coincidental sequential foot placement when walking.

rickn8or said...

As a serial sneezer and full-time klutz, I salute you!!