Saturday, May 05, 2012

Range Report

Checked out some new and/or newly-repaired shootin' arns at the range today:

The Iver Johnson 8-shooter doesn't like cheap .22s. Sometimes it has doubts about CCI Mini-Mags, too. But -- it shoots to point of aim and though the grip angle is unusual, it's not at all bad. DA trigger pull is both longer and less smooth than the High Standard Sentinel 9-shooter, which I took for comparision, but it's not bad, either. I didn't clean the Iver Johnson revolver before taking it to the range, which may make a difference.

Between the two, I have decided .22 revolvers are about as much fun as you can have with your socks on.

Coal Creek Armory's gunsmiths worked over my reblued Colt Police Positive revolver in .32-20. I sent them a barely-functioning firearm -- whoever reblued it had bent the crane! -- and I got back a smooth-running Colt, more than typical of the breed. .32-20 is fun, too: it makes a nice loud boom and even a bit extra smoke, but the recoil is minor.

Last but a standout as well, the Colt Government Model .380 semi-auto. I mostly shoot .380 in short-gripped pocket pistols. This one has a full-length grip and it certainly makes a difference. I only put 40-some rounds though it (I misplaced one box, found it as I was packing up to go home) but it ran like a champ. The sights are good enough for me -- I know some shooters find them a little small.


After "teething difficulties" with the Iver Johnson, I wasn't unhappy with my shooting. Double-action revolvers are, in my opinion, excellent platforms for practicing grip, stance and control. As you learn to hold steady through the pull, you're building muscle memory and confidence that carries though anything you might shoot.

(It seems I have a rep at Eagle Creek as "the woman who brings odd guns," and most of the ROs wandered by to see what I'd brought today. It does make for conversation.)

8 comments:

Tam said...

Coal. ;)

ebizcan.com said...

May I add another range report??...lol...I attended an "open house" at a small shooting range way up here in Canada today(saturday).....I brought a kid (15 yrs old,new shooter)....All the newbies had fun and loved it ....Especially the girls ,after a little encouragement to try it light with a .223cal....AND NO ACCIDENTS ...Many of them also enjoyed the handgun range also.......There is a big gun culture in Canada too(and its getting bigger ;) ...We stand with you...

Tango Juliet said...

You bring "neat" guns. :)

Anonymous said...

If you are reloading for the 32-20 watch those thin cases. It seems like they crush easily.

Tam said...

Second commenter seems spam-like, and yet inept at getting links in...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... YOU bring odd guns? They do know Tam, right? With the hump-backed S&W .44? (which is kool, stop to think... :-D). JohninMd(help?)

Roberta X said...

John: Yep. Tam brings strange guns, too, but mine are sometimes weirder. ...Though only one of us owns an S&W .35 auto and it ain't me.

Tam: Yeah. I let it stand 'cos it is harmless and maybe it's just enthusiasm and newbieness?

Sigman said...

Colts are not strange. Nor really, are the Ivory Johnsons (as old timers around here call them). Just rare.