Saturday, November 05, 2011

"Dija Ever Wonder Why..."

...Why you listened to Andy Rooney even when you thought he was fulla malarkey?

He's gone now, passed away just the other day. And he will be missed. His was one of the voices in the back of your head, the one that spoke up when you encountered some insane-but-taken-for-granted part of daily life and suddenly realized how goofy it was. Most of us ignore that voice -- at least half the time, it's a little crazy not to* -- but Andy Rooney never did.

Not even once.

Ave, improbable pundit.
___________________________________________
* Tam, on hearing the news: "He'd gone more than a little Jimmy-Carter, the last few years." True, but a lot more entertainingly.

4 comments:

Bob said...

He probably stayed on at 60 Minutes past his expiration date, since his best stuff was done back in the 1970's and 1980's. I think that CBS hesitated to replace him because he was one of the last of the older generation of journalists at the network.

In recent years I found his eyebrows so distracting that I couldn't focus on his essays anymore. Don't know if CBS had contracts with the eyebrows.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

As I haven't watched 60 Minutes since, hmm, probably the Reagan administration, I haven't seen him much at all in years. All I remember is that he brought teh funny back in the day.

RIP.

Drang said...

Not a lot of journalists who hit the beach on 6 June, 1944. Fewer still left who have done anything anything close to equivalent.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but he thought people who carried guns were nut-cases.

As I said about Paul Wellstone - I'm sorry he died but I'm glad the asshole is gone.

Jon B.