Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Freudian Slip? And The Toughess Of Marines

AP -- not very quote-friendly, so I won't -- ran a kind of neat story: Marine General James F. Amos says his concern that repealing Don't Ask Don't tell would undermine the war effort was unfounded. (Marines are even tougher than I thought*). That's how AP headlined it. Yahoo News, not so much:I am reminded of the public official (in Ohio?) who predicted "blood in the streets" prior to the state adopting shall-issue handgun carry permits and preemption of most local gun regulation, then came back after they'd been in effect for a year, admitting his prediction had been proven wrong.

Perhaps we underrate our fellowmen (and women). Really, how many kids in your primary school managed to fail "Works And Plays Well With Others?" Actions speak louder than words -- and way louder than Dire Predictions.
___________________________________
* Marines don't shy away from challenges. When an Oklahoma LGBT center invited all the services to send recruiters over, right after DADT was ended, the USMC was the only branch that showed up. I thought I blogged about it at the time but I can't find the posting.

9 comments:

Tango Juliet said...

A public official publicly admitted they were wrong????

Wow! I thought I felt a disturbance in the force.

I guess I wouldn't care who's in a foxhole with me as long as they could shoot straight.

og said...

I don't care what anyone does in private as long as it isn't with a kid or with a dog.

I do care what people do as it affects me; I commonly have had to cover for people who are off bumping uglies instead of doing their job, and they're quick to take credit for work I've done while they were doing so. I don't want people doing any of that shit on my dime.

I also don't want guys in foxholes doing anything but defending our nation. If it tickles you to spend your days showering with 60 of the objects of your desire every day, good for you, but keep it in your pants while my tax dollars are footing the bill. And this goes for congresscritters, mayors, and the dogcatcher too.

Robert Fowler said...

There have been gays in the military since there has been military's. That includes the Marines. I knew of one or two back in the 70's. I'm with T.J., as long as they can pull their own weight and shoot straight, who cares?

Chuck Pergiel said...

"I could have sworn I put up a post on [random topic]" happens to me all the time.

As for "Works And Plays Well With Others?", I think a sizable minority in my elementary school failed. But then I saw them when the teacher wasn't watching.

kishnevi said...

One of the final failing rationales of "no gays" was that hetero soldiers and sailors would feel intimidated because they would be ogled by other men.

Leaving aside the implications this might have for the idea of women serving in the military, it boils down to: Members of the military will be afraid of something.

I'm not a veteran or anything, but it seems to me that's awfully insulting. I mean, you go tell a Marine--or anyother member of the military, but especially someone in the USMC--that he is supposed to be afraid of something....

Roberta X said...

An excellent point, Kishnevi.

One of the bloggers with actual, serious .mil experience (and I can't quite remember for sure, so no name) expressed serious reservations about ending DADT, especially in the lower ranks. It certainly can't be all that comfy an experience for anyone affected. When a high-ranking officer says it's not a problem, he's telling us what he sees. I'm sure every last Marine worthy of the name is bedammed if he or she will let it affect their readiness...but it's a lot to get used to.

Earl said...

There is a lot that goes into working together in training and combat that is never ever ready for publication - and if some Marine did something offensive to another Marine, they would fix it very quickly. There is no Political Correctness enforced. Discipline is doing the right thing without orders or supervision, not being punished for whatever.

mikee said...

Only the Marines are so self confident as to believe the Lesbians will accept their date proposals.

Roberta X said...

Mikee, it just might work for a some Marines; there's gals who'll swoon over a woman in uniform.