Sunday, November 27, 2011

Not Liking What I Am Seeing

There are links posted at INGO (dead link and I don't blame INGO for killing the thread) to purported John Hallgarth photos with Nazi and arguably racist images that appear to date as recently as late 2010. (Dates could still be 'shopped -- but cui bono?) It turned my stomach.

I do not support such things and persons of that ilk do not represent me, nor do they in my experience comprise a majority within the gun-rights movement.

I was brought up Methodist, on a steady diet of Sunday school stories about redemption and the experience of Paul (Saul at the time) on the road to Damascus. My faith's eroded a bit over time but even as an agnostic, I want to believe people can change for the better. But I've got no proof in that direction other than public civility (an under-rated thing, IMO, but hardly a look into the soul) and a lot of what looks to be past history (of varying degrees of provability) pushing in the other direction.

Occupy Broad Ripple with Guns itself was not racist, sexist or classist and took care to ensure participants treated all people in a friendly, decent manner; they limited the message to statements of fact, as seen on the flyer.

But I can't speak for what any participant might believe.

I can speak for myself: I believe all people are equal and that we are necessarily endowed with certain inalienable rights -- life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I believe that the Bill of Rights applies to us all without regard to creed, color or national origin -- and, as important, that it applies to our government at all levels; most of the first ten amendments consist of basic human rights set above legislative, executive or judicial whim. These rights are inherent in the workings of an ethical and just society. I participated because I believe individual self-defense is essential to civil society.

10 comments:

Old NFO said...

Thanks for stepping up Roberta!

Anonymous said...

You did well, and compliments are due you for pointing out your beliefs.

I can't help thinking that if this fellow does indeed turn out to be neo-Nazi, or racist, that OBRwG's one and only occupation just came and went.

Mike James

Roberta X said...

Damn' skippy.

Standard Mischief said...

I'm glad things worked out.

The guy in question seems to have been embarrassed enough by his past that he seemed to make a pathetic attempt to conceal it. Perhaps he's ready to turn over a new leaf?

Roberta X said...

Yeah, well -- believe it when I see it. Haven't seen it yet. Instead it just looks worse for him.

Anonymous said...

That is a shame, but still hope springs eternal...even if the organizer's beliefs irredemably taint the movement, at least a few more people than the day before will perhaps have gotten the positive message? One can hope, and may I say that your posts on this event and on your approach towards the Constitution are truly inspiring.

Tango Juliet said...

You are my hero in many, many ways.

Tam said...

"I can't help thinking that if this fellow does indeed turn out to be neo-Nazi, or racist, that OBRwG's one and only occupation just came and went."

You know, eff that.

This was good idea, and if it was originally hatched by some tubby midwestern Nazi, then even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and again.

This is MY neighborhood. You don't get to poison MY well. Thanks for the good idea, Mr. Nazi! We'll take it from here! You can go back to writing sweaty Goering-Himmler slash-fic.

Bubblehead Les. said...

What Tam said. IF the Gentleman in Question has that Background, nothing says YOU can't pick up the Ball and Run with it. Of course, the Anti-Gunners will portray ANYONE who supports the RKBA as part of the Vast Right-Wing Neo-Nazi Conspiracy, just like the Tea Party folks are Branded.

But that Same MSM gives Communists and Radicals like Van Jones a pass, so never expect any support from them. But the aim is to plant seeds in the minds of your fellow Ripple Dwellers, right? So Frack the Media.

Montie said...

Bobbi,

As one who has had to clean up in the aftermath behind those instances where either self defense was unavailable to the victim in the moment of greatest need, or they refused to take responsibility for themselves, not understanding that we (teh popo)cannot be everywhere, all the time, I heartily second your belief in individual self-defense and have always practiced it myself.

Tam,

What can I say but, you go girl! That was just plain awesome!